Saturday, October 11, 2008

Hixton, Wisconsin Antique Shops

I was on my way to the Tomah Antique Mall last weekend when I stopped on my way at the Oakdale Antique Mall - right off of Interstate I-94 North toward Eau Claire from Madison. I have been to th Oakdale Mall before and wasn't overly impressed. One both there has a lot of nice advertising items - spool cabinets and such. Prices are high, but the items are really nice. I did manage to snag 19 school bonds to put on ebay this week for $5.00. At the mall I picked up a leaflet shwoing some other local malls. I decided to bypass Tomah (going there today to check out some Liebig trade cards and other ephemera) to had up to Hixton, Wisconsin. Hixton is about 30 mins outside of Eau Claire. Going north take the Hixton exit, take a right into town. The first mall you get to is crap - totally bypass it unless you like crafty things or post 1970s items. Keep going along the main road until you see what is a small "main street" area. There are two shops on this road. Both are okay, recommend going in just to have a look around and to support the smaller shops. However, the cream of the crop is the Hixton Schoolhouse Antique Mall. As you can guess, it is in an old school. Store has a lot of nice antiques mixed with the newer stuff you see in every antique mall. You know that old print of the lone wolf howling - it kills me every time I see it. Throw it away people!!

Good stuff at Hixton Schoolhouse Mall - look in the the glass cases - lots of nice ephemera and old books. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of nice books this shop had. I remembered that this neck of Wisconsin, with the flour mills and lumber did have a lot of wealth long ago, and its proximity to Minneapolis probably helps too. I bought two things that are on ebay this week and ending on Monday night. Here they are below with pics and links to the ebay sale:

A WI Civil War pay warrant for Thomas Meadows - 3rd Calvary.


1787 Third Volume of History of America by William Robertson - this vol discusses Pizarro.


Anyway - Hixton is a must destination for collectors. Next weekend I may go south for once or back to my favorite ephemera dealer in Milwaukee. I will let you know!

If you know if other malls that I haven't been to yet that have lots of paper advertising or other ephemera I would love to hear from you. Let me know so I can visit!

No comments:

Custom Search