Saturday, June 7, 2008

Antiquing in Stoughton Wisconsin

I mentioned in a past post about how Stoughton Wisconsin is quietly becoming a hot spot for collectors. Stoughton has three antique stores/malls, one buy and sell shop and one second hand shop.

1. Catfish River Art & Antiques
This is the most upscale of the shops. It has a large amount of furniture from more traditional to modern - in the basement. It also has some new pottery that it sells. It is located on Main Street. The last time I was there they were selling the old jurors chairs from the old Dane County Courthouse in Madison, Wisconsin. The chairs were garnering a lot of attention from shoppers. The basement had an awesome light table for sale and some nice large wooden desks.

2. Stoughton Antique Mall
This is one of my favorite local shops to visit. I don't always find anything to buy and the turn over isn't that great, but the atmosphere - it is in an old tobacco warehouse - and the employees are very friendly. Plus free coffee and cookies! The shop as a few painted pieces of furniture. The upstairs has books and other paper items. The basement also has books and other items. I couldn't really give one specific type of collectible it has - as it rolls with a little bit of everything.

3. Elsing's Second Hand Shop
The link I gave you to Elsing's has to do with it being Haunted. Quite an interesting story. I have been in it twice and have never had an feelings of unease. Shop has a hodge podge of items. Sometimes you can find nice furniture in the basement.

4. Buy and Sell Shop
Again another hodge podge of collectibles. Every now and then the shop gets in a nice piece of furniture - an old map case was one item a few months ago that I drooled over but was out of my price range. Last time I was there it had a wonderful old drafting table for sale.

5. New antique mall by owners of the old Middleton Antique Mall
I plan on trying to hunt this down in the next week or so. This weekend Wisconsin is getting it my lots of tornado weather so I will wait until that dies down. I expect it to be a lot like the old place with a few surprises.

No comments:

Custom Search