Sunday, November 30, 2008

Antiquing in La Crosse - Don't Do It!!!

Four days off for turkey day and I decided to spend one day driving up to La Crosse Wisconsin to check out two antique shops. This was a 2 1/2 drive both ways. All I can say is what a complete and utter waste of my time and gas. Only antique in La Crosse if you are there already - don't make any special trips. I was very disappointed as I had read a blog about how someone liked the Antique Mall in downtown La Crosse. Okay, it was three stories - but three stories and the same old crap I see at every single antique mall. Again, don't these people visit other malls. I know, perhaps I am the only crazy Wisconsinite that goes antique malling but come on - wow me, give me something new. As you all know, I love old paper - I drool over it and an giddy with glee when I find it. In La Crosse there is nothing - it is a barren wasteland for ephemera collectors. I was so desperate that in the second shop I visited I went downstairs without my glasses on and thought in the corner I saw what looked like old paper. Alas, it was only a board - yes, I know, I should always where my glasses! I felt like the shop owners should have paid me for browsing. On my way back I decided to go to the Tomah Antique Mall - I know there is a both of paper with trade cards, and at least I can look at it again.

As I was checking out have buying some neat McLaughlin XXXX Coffee small trade cards - pictured here. I was talking to a worker and telling him how crappy La Crosse was when he asked me if I had ever been to the Antique Emporium in Eau Claire. I said, no. He said the third floor is all paper. I gasped and shrieked - Why did I waste my time in La Crosse!!!!!

Next weekend folks its Eau Claire or bust - this is a three hour drive. Any one out there that has been to his antique mall and can reassure me that there is paper I would be much obliged.

No comments:

Custom Search